26 May 2011

America America

Last weekend I went hiking and camping in Moab, UT with two of my lovely friends, Halley and Sarah. We went to Arches National Park and then did some hiking in other nearby areas (BLM land that Halley taught me about!). It was glorious!

I needed that trip. It is so good for me to get out of Provo. And especially out of my office and into some of the beautiful natural places that are so close to me here in Utah.

While we were in Arches, we stopped into the Visitors Center and came across these awesome posters from the 1930s and 1940s that were promoting travel and tourism in the United States (see examples below). I bought a few postcard versions, because they were gorgeous. And they made me feel really lucky to live so close to some of America's great treasures--her mountains and valleys and canyons.



I have only lived in two states in my life, but within those two beautiful states there are so many incredible gifts of Nature to explore! Arizona, the Grand Canyon State, home to one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World!; and Utah, with Bryce Canyon and Arches National Park and Zion's and Capitol Reef and so much more (that I hope to explore a bit this summer!). I am a lucky woman. And while I love getting to visit other parts of the US and other spectacular places across the world, where there are more incredible marvels to witness, I would be quite ungrateful if I didn't pause to wonder at the beauty of all that I have right here at my finger tips!

I love it!

No comments: