24 May 2012

When my students asked me

the definition of foster I excitedly told them that to foster is to...
encourage or promote the development of (something, typically something regarded as good). To cherish, raise up, nurture...*

thinking they were extra engaged in the article we were reading and interested in learning some new vocabulary. Yay for English! They actually care!

Then one of them said "Oh cool. I was just wondering because there's this band called Foster the People."

Yeah, really? Too bad, "foster the minds of Spanish youth learning English" doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Then maybe they'd listen to me too. Maybe.**

It's okay though, because Foster the People really does make good music. And now my students are practically guaranteed to remember at least one word we learned this year! Success!

Anyway, I haven't been as diligent about posting music this week as I originally intended (shocking I know). But I ran into this lovely song, "Ruby," by, have you guessed?? Why yes, that one group.. something akin to Encourage the Human Race, or was it, oh yeah! Foster the People. Yeah, them. Anyway, I love the song. And I thought I'd also add an acoustic version of some FosterthePeople favorites from NPR's Tiny Desk Concert series. If you're anything like my students (and me), you'll love it!






What else should I be listening to friends? I need your expertise!

*well, I'm sure I said something like that
because when you're an English teacher you're expected to know the exact definition of 
EVERY ENGLISH WORD
at any given moment.
And if you don't, you make one up.
Definition via

**Also, that class are actually excellent students,
 the little smarties!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I learned that I like "Foster the people". I didn't know that before I read this post. and then put the song on repeat. :)

Scabs said...

Dito on liking Foster the People...lately I've been drawn to "Somebody that I used to KNow" by Goyte.

not sure if it's one your students will like.

ktb said...

I'm so glad you enjoy Foster the People! Me too :)

And Goyte is also wonderful, whether my students like it or not =) Thanks for the suggestion!!